Summary: Sage Hill School in Newport Coast, California is seeking a full-time Associate Director of College Counseling for the 2018-2019 academic year. The ideal candidate will have experience with and enthusiasm for working with talented and dedicated students and their parents, committed and engaged faculty and staff members, and our trusted colleagues and partners in college and university admissions. The person hired will join a committed college counseling team that includes four full-time college counselors and one part-time administrative assistant.
Founded in September 2000, Sage Hill School is Orange County’s first independent co-educational, nondenominational secondary school. The school has grown from 120 in our inaugural year and now exceeds 500. Students at Sage Hill come from more than 100 feeder schools representing approximately 40 communities in greater Orange County. Sage Hill enrolls a diverse student body from a variety of racial, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Advise juniors and seniors and their families through the college process; with additional support for sophomores and freshmen on an as?needed basis
- Write detailed letters of recommendation, maintain contact with colleges to advocate for Sage students, conduct one-on-one student as well as group family meetings throughout the college counseling process, help students build their college lists with an eye toward fit
- Advisor for group of students (includes attending Advisor meetings and Service Learning prep meetings, as well as Service Learning Days off campus. Facilitate Parent-Student-Advisor conferences with advisees.)
- Develop and manage the communication plan for the college office
- Maintain ongoing data trend analysis
- Coordinate special programming on campus
- Support the College Counseling Office’s print and electronic resources (i.e. the College Counseling Handbook, website announcements of college visits, and various social media, etc.)
- Maintain and update college counseling data on website
- Community support responsibility
Team duties and responsibilities:
- Plan and facilitate college counseling events
- Host college representative visits
- Steward relations with colleges and universities
- Represent the school at various events, such as the New Parent Orientation, town meetings, admission open houses, parent coffees and college fairs
- Evaluate students’ curriculum status for Secondary School Reports
An analytical and incisive thinker with the ability to assess students’ needs accurately, serve as a passionate advocate and act compassionately in helping the student and family find the right college match. Must juggle several tasks simultaneously and master issues related to college counseling. An eye for detail, a positive presence, a team orientation, respect for deadlines, and a strong work ethic are essential for success in this position.
- Minimum five years college counseling experience, either at the secondary school level or as a college admission counselor at a selective college or university
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred with a strong foundation in the liberal arts
- Evidence of continuing education in the fields of college guidance and counseling
- Experience in an independent school or higher education setting
Founded in September 2000, Sage Hill School is Orange County’s first independent co?educational, nondenominational secondary school. The school has grown from 120 in our inaugural year and now exceeds 500. Students at Sage Hill come from more than 100 feeder schools representing approximately 40 communities in greater Orange County. Sage Hill enrolls a diverse student body from a variety of racial, ethnic, religious, and socio?economic backgrounds.