Employment Status: Staff
Description of Key Responsibility:
1. Interact with people in assigned territories, primarily high school juniors and seniors, who may be qualified and interested in becoming North Central College freshmen. Sources for contacts include responses to search mailings and advertisements, referrals from alumni and others, personal contacts made at high school visits and college fairs, inquiries from individuals, web inquiries and other sources. Ensure that contact is established and, where appropriate, maintained with these people by personally phoning and corresponding by mail and e‐mail with them and/or seeing that assigned student workers accomplish this task, and by meeting with them personally in a variety of settings (see below).
2. Assist other freshmen and transfer admission counselors in communicating with families from their territories when that family primarily speaks Spanish. Be available as a resource to the admission staff when a phone conversation, campus visit, or email needs to be in Spanish.
3. Provide information about the College; counsel and advise students and their parents in order to assist them in making a college choice as well as, where appropriate, guiding them through the processes of applying for admission and for financial aid. Encourage qualified students to participate in the College's scholarship and orientation programs. Maintain records of contacts made and results thereof.
4. Primarily during the fall season, visit high schools in assigned territories in order to meet personally with as many prospective students as possible. Make arrangements in advance with high school personnel and ensure that posters announcing the visits are sent to the schools and that identified prospective students at the schools are notified of the impending visit by phone and/or mail.
5. Meet with high school guidance counselors in order to keep them informed of North Central College’s activities and programs.
6. Other duties as assigned.
A baccalaureate degree is required.
One to three years of admission experience is preferred. Knowledge of North Central College programs, policies and procedures preferred. Familiarity with Datatel, Microsoft Power Point, Excel, Word, web research and electronic communication is preferred. Bilingual in Spanish and English, with the ability to professionally speak, write, and translate between the two required. Native Spanish speaker preferred.
Licenses or Certifications:
A valid driver’s license is required.