| Location: Lakewood, NJ Category: Administrative Staff Posted On: Tue Feb 28 2017 Job Description: |
The Admissions Counselor serves as one of the primary contacts for prospective students and their family, school counselors and advisors, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process. Through representing the University, at both on- and off-campus events, this position is responsible for recruiting and managing an inquiry and applicant pool and for reviewing applications, transcripts, essays, test scores and any other materials submitted by the applicant for the purpose of making admissions decisions within their designated geography-based territory and/or alpha-split.
The Admissions Counselor will communicate and work with prospective students, primarily by in-person appointments, telephone, email, texting, social media sites, and video/virtual chat on the admissions process and opportunities at Georgian Court University.
In close consultation with the Director of Admissions, the Admissions Counselor will manage ongoing strategic communications to prospective students and their family and school counselors and advisors within their territory.
This position requires the ability to travel, both locally and nationally, which will include evening and weekend hours.
Evening and weekend hours and travel in and out of state required.
The incumbent must possess a strategic and curious mind with an ability to communicate and create interest in the University with prospective students. This professional must be enthusiastic, people-oriented and enjoy working with high school and college students. This position resides in a fun and fast-paced department, and the incumbent should live by details, have exceptional organization skills, and have a positive attitude.
- Recruiting prospective students through visiting high schools, community colleges, community events, making presentations to classrooms or community events, virtual fairs, and college fairs within a designated geography-based or alpha-split territory.
- Managing the inquiry and applicant flow to ensure students turn in all necessary documents to complete their file for the enrollment and financial aid process.
- Reviewing applications, essays, scores and any other materials submitted by the applicant for the purpose of making admissions decisions or recommendations.
- Creating and maintaining professional relationships with school counselors and advisors and other individuals or organizations involved in the college section process.
- Serving as the primary contact to prospective students and their family, school counselors and advisors, and other individuals or organizations involved in the college selection process.
- Remaining in constant contact with prospective students through multiple mediums, including individual appointments, telephone, email, texting, social media sites and video/virtual chat.
- Leading campus tours and conducting informational sessions and prospective student interviews.
- Attending and assisting with the coordination of recruitment functions, including phone-a-thons, counselor workshops, information sessions and open houses.
- Working with the offices of Financial Aid, Academic Services, and Student Services to disseminate all necessary information to prospective students.
- Providing back-up counseling and interviewing support for the Office of Financial Aid.
- Preparing, maintaining, and distributing a series of activity, inquiry and applicant reports designed to keep key Georgian Court University personnel up-to-date on the status of the applicant pool.
- Understanding, applying, maintaining and ensuring all student information is accurate and complete and in compliance with mandatory University, state and federal policies regarding data and the recruitment and admission of students, such as FERPA, ADA and more.
- Maintaining current knowledge of university curriculum, rules, regulations, and guidelines applicable to students.
- Identifying and attending at least one professional development seminar and presenting the information to the enrollment staff.
- Representing the office on a variety of University committees.
- Integrating the core values of respect, compassion, integrity, justice and service in all aspects of interaction.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Admissions Counselor will ensure that all communications follow brand guidelines and work to maintain and advance Georgian Court University's commitment to environmentally sustainable practices. The position will report to either undergraduate or graduate as assigned by management.
The minimum qualifications for this position are:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 1+ years of experience with admissions, marketing or sales
- Valid driver's license from State of residency.
- Ability and willingness to travel in and out of state. Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekend hours.
- Excellent professional demeanor
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and other email, database and spreadsheet applications and Adobe Acrobat.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical manuals
- Excellent listening, communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills with the ability to communicate clearly in person and writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, students and the general public
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality
- Ability to work independently, completing work in a thorough and timely manner and balancing competing demands with courtesy and tact
- Ability to courteously and accurately provide information to employees, students and the general public
- Ability to quickly learn and retain a large body of general University information, including activities, functions, personnel, rules, policies, regulations, procedures, etc.
The preferred but not required qualifications for this position are:
- Experience with Ellucian Systems
- Experience using student information systems, customer relationship management (CRM) systems and communication technologies to recruit and enroll students
- Higher Education experience
- Knowledge of college admissions or marketing and sales