Purpose of Position
Macalester College seeks to hire an experienced enrollment professional with significant international admissions experience. The Associate Director, Coordinator of International Admissions directs recruitment, admission, and enrollment strategies for international prospective students. This position performs a broad range of duties, including managing communication campaigns to international students, organizing, implementing, and evaluating recruitment travel around the world, coordinating the review of international student applications for admission, and working on other projects as assigned by the Director of Admissions. The Associate Director, Coordinator of International Admissions partners closely with the Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid, Director of Financial Aid, Manager of Enrollment Systems, and others.
• Bachelor's degree, preferably from a four-year, private liberal arts college
• In-depth knowledge of various international education systems around the world. 8 years or more of experience in higher education, preferably international admissions work at a selective liberal arts college.
• Awareness and sensitivity to other cultures and the interests/concerns of international students contemplating study in the U.S
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate professionally, tactfully and effectively to a wide variety of individuals
• Ability to work creatively and efficiently, both independently and as part of a team
• Must be available to travel and work nights and weekends
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Coordinates the department's international recruitment, including representation of Macalester during high school visits, college fairs, off-campus interviews, and other special events around the world. Responsible, in consultation with the Director and other staff members, for developing and implementing recruitment strategies for specific geographic regions. Evaluates and reports on the effectiveness of these strategies each year.
• Directs the admissions selection & committee processes for international applicants. Evaluating applications involves exercising independent judgment and making professional recommendations regarding admission decisions. In each selection cycle, the coordinator ensures that all international applicants and U.S. applicants studying abroad are reviewed in the holistic manner outlined by office leadership. Coordinates the International Admissions Committee process, develops and maintains the international student yield model, and works with the Director of Financial Aid to determine the appropriate financial aid award for each admitted student.
• Builds relationships with international counseling professionals by coordinating campus visit programs & attending conferences of international counselors and admissions professionals. Stewards Macalester's special, long-standing relationship with the United World Colleges network of schools, counselors, and students.
• Implements various communications strategies appropriate to international prospective students. Strategies include e-mail communications, web content, social media, and print publications when appropriate.
• Builds a volunteer network that assists international recruitment efforts. This includes alumni living abroad, current students who are studying overseas, current international students who return home during breaks, and faculty who are on sabbaticals or traveling for work.
• Collaborates with International Student Programs (ISP) Office. Participates in the transition of new international students to the college.
• Other duties as assigned
Macalester College is a highly selective, private liberal arts college in the vibrant Minneapolis-Saint Paul metropolitan area. Established in 1874, Macalester has a proud and rich tradition of academic excellence with a special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society. Macalester’s 2100 students represent students from all 50 states and more than 90 countries. The Associate Director, Coordinator of International Admissions has the opportunity to build on the fantastic work of previous international admissions staff.
Additional Information For best consideration please submit resume and cover letter in one PDF document through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage no later than March 27, 2017. Inquiries about this opportunity can be directed to Jeff Allen, Director of Admissions (email@example.com).