DCI is hiring full time College Counselor to build our program. Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to pass a background check. No phone calls please.
Position Overview: This position entails providing advising and counseling services to students at DCI to promote a positive educational environment for all students. This position will also collaborate with appropriate personnel to ensure positive educational and counseling practices for the students. Spanish Speaker strongly preferred.
Essential Responsibilities: College Counseling
- Providing direction and leadership toward the achievement of the college office’s mission,
strategy, and overall goals and objectives.
- Administering the college office’s budget and purchasing
- Establishing and executing college guidance curriculum
- Providing comprehensive educational, college, and financial aid planning for students and their families
- Managing a college and career office where students access information and resources
- Working with the Student Support Services team to support students with disabilities and
language needs in preparing for college admissions and transition
- Working with teachers to develop an advisory curriculum of college readiness with goals and
activities for all grade levels informed by the college readiness standards
- Collecting and disseminating information to students and their parents on summer opportunities and internships, and encouraging and supporting students in making summer plans
- Tracking student information such as test scores, attendance, GPA, community service hours,
college lists, acceptances, decisions, statistics, etc.
- Promoting and ensuring students have completed 100 hours of community service before graduation
- Providing information sessions and support for families in understanding the college application and financial aid process
- Providing focused outreach and support to first generation college families. Providing or
arranging interpretation and translation support as needed
- Supporting students and families in finding scholarships and college funding
- Keeping parents informed through regular communication
- Maintaining and disseminating information about standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and
- Coordinating and supporting test preparation activities including summer, after-school,
Intersession, or weekend classes.
- Working with the Student Support Services team to arrange for extended time on tests for
- Introducing our program to colleges and universities and fostering partnerships
- Compiling a DC International School profile, as well as information on grading and course offerings to communicate with colleges and universities
- Setting up college visits and tours for students
- Arranging for college admissions representatives to visit our campus and facilitating meetings
between college representatives and our students
- Serving as liaison with college admissions offices and completing all School Report and midyear report forms requested by colleges
- Communicating and collaborating with our current partner, Collegiate Directions, Inc. (CDI)
- Establishing partnerships with local and national organizations to support our students with
college preparation and scholarships
- Being aware of issues and trends in college admission, higher education, testing, as well as
keeping up-to-date about specific colleges and use this information to inform future educational
and programmatic planning
- Maintain records on juniors and seniors
- Maintaining membership in professional organizations
Counseling: In addition, serve as a member of our counseling team:
- Monitoring student academic and behavioral progress and providing interventions
- Leadership in school culture
- Small-group and individual short-term counseling as needed
- Crisis counseling; attendance monitoring and counseling
- Academic record-keeping and scheduling
- Serve as school liaison to social service agencies
- Collaborate with general and special educators, coordinators, and leadership
- Communicate through a variety of mediums with parents and students
- Embrace French, Spanish, and Chinese cultures by leading and participating in cultural activities for faculty and students
- Other duties as assigned
DCI faculty and staff embrace the rigor and commitment necessary to build a shared culture and vision. We want you to join our team dedicated to social justice, environmental stewardship, diversity, internationalism, and interdisciplinary education as reflected in the International Baccalaureate curriculum framework. We expect that all of our students can achieve academically at the very highest levels. Our mission statement reflects our core values: DC International School inspires inquiring, engaged, knowledgeable and caring secondary students who are multi-lingual, culturally competent, and committed to proactively creating a socially just and sustainable world.
Faculty and Staff Development/Benefits:
DCI is committed to the principles of servant leadership and to providing faculty and staff with the resources and training they need to provide an excellent education experience for every student and family.
- We have a benefits package that includes health and disability insurance and paid leave.
- We offer teachers daily planning time, professional development, and reasonable class sizes.
- Teachers and staff have the appropriate technology and support to do their work.
DC International School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.