Calvary Christian High School is currently accepting resumes for a full-time, 12-month assistant director of college counseling. Located in Clearwater, Florida, CCHS enrolls approximately 500 students in grades 9-12.
The mission of Calvary Christian High School is to partner with the Christian home and the church to provide a challenging college preparatory Christian education that equips students to live successfully according to God’s plan for their lives. A biblical worldview is foundational to our mission which is fulfilled through students acquiring biblical truth, applying biblical truth, and attaining their highest level of academic achievement.
The assistant director of college counseling primarily works with high school seniors, juniors, and sophomores and their parents counseling them through the college research, application, and transition processes. The position supports all other activities of the college counseling office and any other responsibilities assigned by the Head of School.
- Facilitates individual meetings with seniors, juniors, and sophomores (desirably with parents in attendance) to discuss matters within the appropriate stage of the college-going process. All college counselors must keep accurate meeting notes in the database and forward to the family.
- Schedules additional meetings as requested by students and parents for follow-up conversations
- Monitors senior progression through the college application season using Naviance
- Guides students and families in understanding Naviance Family Connections and other pertinent college planning websites
- Writes compelling, thorough, and personal counselor letters of recommendation and completes counselor recommendation forms for students as needed for seniors applying to selective colleges and universities as well as for scholarships
- Ensures all elements of the college application file (e.g. transcript, school profile, and counselor and teacher recommendations) have been sent and received by the respective colleges.
- Ensures that all students are actively updating their Naviance accounts as instructed in the large group sessions
- Maintains the data housed in Naviance by regularly updating standardized test scores, GPA, and demographic information from the main database. Is also responsible for Naviance account creation/communication and exporting data for the National Clearinghouse report.
- Coordinates requested and initiated onsite meetings with college admissions representatives
- Represents the school by meeting privately with all college admissions representatives during onsite visits and by engaging in off-site visits to various colleges and counselor events throughout the year
- Coordinates participation in and communication of area and national college fairs (Bay Area Independent Schools College Fair, NACAC Tampa Fair, NACCAP spring fair, Christian College Fair circuit) as well as individual college information sessions