At Suffolk, we foster graduate degree programs that are both professionally relevant and personally satisfying. We offer more than 50 graduate degree and certificate programs for students looking to realize their professional and personal goals. With small class sizes and a focus on providing a dynamic and relevant learning experience for all students, Suffolk ensures that students will acquire the practical tools needed to help them to succeed. The Graduate Admissions Counselor/Communications Specialist will help support the enrollment processes for the graduate programs in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Sawyer Business School.
The incumbent will report to the Director of Graduate Admissions and will work as part of an admission team responsible for providing support of application review, recruitment travel, and participation in on and off campus events for the College of Arts and Science and the Sawyer Business School. The incumbent will serve as the primary recruiter and reader for applications for specific graduate programs and will manage all aspects of communications for the Office of Graduate Admission. This includes working closely with all admission and academic divisions at the University and the Office of Marketing Communications. Another primary responsibility is overseeing and supporting the Slate CRM system. Some editing and the production of communications to drive the enrollment pipeline will be required, as well as effectively supporting the recruitment goals of the graduate programs and utilizing the University's brand platform to convey the message to diverse audiences.
- The Graduate Admission Counselor/Communication Specialist will be responsible for conducting recruitment, application review, and evaluation for assigned graduate programs and serve as the primary recruiter and reader for all applications for those programs.
- Respond to routine requests from prospective applicants.
- Recruitment planning for designated programs.
- Leverage basic data analysis to manage decisions in a designated region(s) or area of study.
- Manage internal and external relationships.
- Must be service and team oriented and aware of the needs and concerns of a selective private university.
- Travel and evening/weekend work required, including nights and weekends and conducting off-campus university events and visits for prospective graduate students.
Marketing and Communications
- The Graduate Admissions Counselor/Communication Specialist will serve as the primary admission strategist (in conjunction with the Office of Marketing and Communication) for communication plan management, event promotion, creating email campaigns, collateral, and other supporting documents.
- The development and implementation of robust, multi-channel communication plans that are designed to convert best-fit students through the admission pipeline.
- Will work with the marketing and communications team to identify opportunities for prospect conversion.
- Will assist in the planning and execution of video content and other virtual recruitment projects, and will contribute content creation for emails and other marketing campaigns.
- Will assist in the coordination, development, and production of communication materials for all graduate admission recruiting initiatives.
- Will be assigned other project and liaison work as needed.
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability and understanding of the mission of the University's urban location and the unique opportunity this presents for prospective students. The incumbent must also have the ability to demonstrate enthusiasm about the University, a strong work ethic, be able to exercise sound judgment, and be skilled at public speaking and writing. The ability to communicate professionally with a variety of different internal and external audiences is necessary.
- At least one year experience in recruitment and admission, preferred. Master's Degree required.
- Requires travel as well as evening and weekend work.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely.
- Strong time management and ability to meet strict, frequent deadlines.
- Strong computer proficiency including a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel and experience using social media to attract and recruit applicants.
- Experience with reading and evaluating application materials using a digital based application system.
- Strong verbal communication skills - ability to speak publicly in front of small and large audiences.
- Ability to engage and network with prospective applicants.
- Ability to represent the University professionally, express the value of attending Suffolk and to 'sell' a vision.
- Ability and comfort with inter and intra-continental travel for several weeks at a time, usually in the fall months.
- Ability to work a rigorous schedule and flexible hours.
- Valid drivers' license.
- Access to a personal vehicle.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team on group projects.
- Strong creativity and innovation; willingness to try new approaches to achieve desired objectives.
Working at Suffolk
Suffolk University is a private, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common and we are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, City Hall and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience since 1906. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
We compete for the best talent. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LGBTQ status. As part of our commitment we encourage you to complete the demographic portion of the application in addition to submitting your cover letter and resume/CV as it will assist us in targeting our recruitment efforts.
Please note that Suffolk University conducts background checks as a condition of employment.