Madison Country Day School, an IB World School, began introducing a high school program 10 years ago. MCDS will graduate this year a group of 18 seniors who have been accepted to highly selective colleges and universities including Ivy League schools. With a current total high school enrollment of 110 students, MCDS is searching for an experienced college counselor to direct the high school’s college counseling program. High school students at MCDS pursue the prestigious International Baccalaureate Diploma, exceeding both global and US average pass rates on this examination. This is a tremendous growth opportunity for a candidate working as an associate director of college counseling.
Link to MCDS College Advising Page
The ideal candidate has experience in college counseling in independent or public schools. Primary responsibilities include meeting regularly with students to provide guidance in the college selection and application process, building relationships with parents, colleagues, and colleges/universities, and supporting student applications with strong written and verbal communication. Seeking a solid collaborator with a balanced and team-oriented mindset that is able to motivate others. The ideal candidate has a strong work ethic and a demonstrated record of excellent networking skills. The candidate reports directly to the Head of School and works collaboratively with the head of high school and faculty to guide students through all aspects of the college exploration and application process. This individual is responsible for all school forms of student applications, including but not limited to the school profile, transcripts, counselor letters of recommendation, teacher letters of recommendation, and the secondary school reports. The candidate facilitates and schedules all practice standardized testing for students, and hosts college representatives throughout the year.
Qualified Candidates will possess:
- An in-depth knowledge of US colleges and universities, as well as an awareness of the evolving college admissions landscape.
- Experience with IB Diploma Programme preferred.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills and an understanding of the cultural expectations of our families related to college and university admissions.
- Educate and communicate with stakeholders (students, parents, faculty, staff, and educators) on the college admissions process.
- A team-oriented approach to all aspects of the college counseling process and a collaborative spirit of engagement in all professional endeavors.
- Demonstrated management, organization and written communication skills including writing effective letters of recommendation for each senior advisee and assisting with the preparation of various college-related materials and relevant reports for students, parents, administration and leadership.
- Self-confidence, creativity, patience, diplomacy, initiative and a serious work ethic
- Sensitivity to individual student’s needs and aspirations with appropriate encouragement and realistic overview.
- Articulate oral communication/public speaking skills, comfortable with leading and speaking at various school events and representing MCDS at community and professional programs.
- Advanced technology skills for online support of the college counseling program and ability to familiarize students and parents about relevant resources. Experience with Naviance college and career readiness software is desirable.
Start Date: July 1, 2017 (flexible)