Extensive travel, evening and weekend work are required. Candidates must be available and willing to work non-traditional hours as needed.
The Admission Counselor is responsible for managing recruitment efforts in a geographic territory, including public speaking engagements, travel to college recruitment events, communication with prospective students, reviewing application files, financial aid counseling, and managing special projects. The position is strongly focused on providing excellent follow-through, customer service, and communicating the educational opportunities available at Pacific Lutheran University. The admission counselor is specifically responsible for meeting individual recruitment goals and for contributing to the overall recruiting goals of the Admission’s team and Office. This position reports to the Associate Director of Admission.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Articulate the university message to prospective students, families, high school counselors, community college personnel, alumni, pastors, and community members.
• Communicate with prospective students throughout the recruitment and application process, including extensive correspondence via phone and email.
• Generate and review admission applications.
• Represent the university at a variety of functions including, but not limited to: college fairs, high school visits, receptions and community events.
• Plan and implement 6-12 weeks of travel in the fall and 2-3 weeks of travel in the spring; weekend and evening work required.
• Manage selected student recruitment programs and special projects as assigned by the Associate Director of Admission.
• Provide financial Aid counseling and advising.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Sound appreciation for the values of a comprehensive liberal arts education. A strong commitment to PLU’s goals and mission.
• Sensitivity to the concerns and needs of diverse student populations.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to follow through consistently on inquiries, requests, and suggestions.
• Ability to resolve problems and to develop relevant alternatives and recommendations.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; to establish positive public relations for the College; and to interact effectively with a wide variety of people.
• Ability to form strong coalitions with internal and external constituencies.
• Social media skills, including experience with Facebook and Twitter, are preferred.
• Flexibility to work evenings, weekends and to travel is required.
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Valid Driver’s License (Must have had a valid driver’s license for at least 2yrs).
• Finalist candidates must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check, provide an original copy of their Driving Record (5yr Employment Abstract), and pass PLU’s internal Driver’s Certification Training.
• Proficiency or fluency in a second language, preferably Spanish.
PLU offers an excellent benefits package including tuition remission for employees and their dependents, retirement plan, medical, dental, paid vacation, major holidays off, and many other great university benefits.