THE DIRECTOR OF COLLEGE COUNSELING’S ROLE Assist Middle School and High School students at VCS to develop an understanding and knowledge of personal gifts/abilities/interests, while emphasizing strong academic and personal skills as the basis for sound educational development. Engage students and parents in a variety of post high school options while empowering them to understand and navigate the college planning, selection, admissions, application and financial aid process. Advance the awareness that opportunities exist for admission to top tier colleges and universities. Assist students in learning how to set goals, solve problems, develop and nurture healthy relationships, build resilience, and grow in their relationship with God.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES • Initiate and provide academic advisement to students and their parents throughout the year to develop and maintain an educational plan designed for high school graduation and college admission.
• Collaborate with department to create and implement a vision and strategic plan.
• Create events, ongoing programs, and publicity that establish a “college going culture”
• Work closely with MS counselor to design and implement college planning beginning in 6th grade, creating a college roadmap
• Inspire students to reach for challenging colleges and universities and assist students in the college application process including testing and financial aid
• Provide personal and social counseling for students
• Collaborate with and serve as a resource person to faculty, staff, and administration
• Support students by designing and implementing intervention and acceleration programs and opportunities
• Train students and parents in the use of Naviance and RenWeb
• Assist students in the college application process and serve as a reference
• Organize and chaperone college visit trips for student groups.
• Coordinate college and other professional representatives for visiting VCS
• Promote VCS and our academics and programs to Admissions Counselors at selective colleges and universities
THE APPLICATION PROCESS In addition to the above, we seek the following in qualified candidates:
• Show evidence of their Christian walk and actively participate in a Christian community
• Demonstrate initiative and follow through
• Are articulate, have strong interpersonal skills and are committed to the success of all students
• Demonstrate a thorough and current understanding of the college admissions process, a-g requirements and NCAA and NAIA Eligibility Center
• Hold a Masters Degree in an education related field
• Have earned a PPS credential
• Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong organizational ability and ability to meet deadlines
• Are technologically competent
• Are continually seeking to learn, grow and improve their skills
About Village Christian Schools
Village Christian School was founded in 1949 as a collaborative ministry through Village Church in Burbank, California. From early on, the school was independently governed, making it one of the earliest examples of Christian independent schools in the United States.Building on this deeply respected legacy, strong leadership from Head of School Tom Konjoyan and a re-vitalized mission have resulted in steady growth and organizational stabilization over the past seven years. With 1,100 students, the campus functions near capacity, providing a wide range of academic, artistic, and athletic activities at a high level. VCS promotes itself as a uniquely diverse community — socio-economically, religiously, ethnically, and internationally.