Initiates, plans, executes and evaluates programs/budgets for the recruitment of students within assigned geographical areas. The Office of Admissions is the public face of the University to prospective students and parents. The number and type of students recruited on a yearly basis has a significant impact on the operations of the University. The Office of Admissions is responsible for the personalized recruitment and enrollment of new undergraduate and graduate students. Through various recruitment and enrollment strategies, the admissions team positively influences prospective students’ decision to apply to and enroll at University of Detroit Mercy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(1) Manage and evaluate prospect, conversion, and yield activities within a designated recruitment territory, and across territories as needed (2) Initiate and maintain contact with high school and community college students, counselors, and other school administrators through individual and group interactions
(3) Recruit at day and evening events as a representative of the University
(4) Review academic qualifications and make admissions decisions
(5) Communicate and explain all financial aid information to prospective students from the inquiry stage through final award clarification
(6) Manage and coordinate programs for assigned liaison(s) roles between Admissions Office and other Detroit Mercy departments
(7) Collaborate with various university stakeholders during the recruitment and enrollment process
(8) Evaluate data from self-initiated and standard enrollment reports to determine actions which will maximize recruitment
(9) Create new markets by identifying populations for outreach and develop and implement activities and programs aimed to increase university visibility
(10) Assist with day-to-day functions of the Admissions Office and other duties as necessary to support the recruitment efforts
(11) Assist with the planning and conducting of on-campus recruitment and public relations activities utilizing Detroit Mercy administrators, faculty, students and alumni (12) All other duties as assigned
Experience in recruitment or sales preferred
Knowledge in working with international candidates
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to develop congenial and productive working relationships with all internal and external constituents
Effective interpersonal and customer service skills
Clear verbal and written abilities
Understanding and demonstrated use of social media tools
Effective public speaker with informative and persuasive speaking skills
Ability to manage multiple priorities to accomplish required productivity goals
Available to work some evenings and weekends
Knowledge working with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Access
Willingness to acquire an understanding of the Mercy and Jesuit commitment to excellence in education, diversity of the student body, social service, and the liberal arts and sciences traditions. The goals and priorities of a value-centered education must be reflected in any recruitment program and by the presentations of the admissions counselor
Initiative, imagination and organizational qualities to assist in the development of programs and promote the university to various publics
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.