Location: Westchester Campus,
Under minimal supervision, provide specialized student recruitment and admission services in support of enrollment management goals for broad range of graduate programs within the School of Education. Assist in all areas of SOE admission and recruitment, including evaluation of eligibility to enter a LMU graduate degree, certificate, or California credential program. Serve as key resource on admissions and recruitment topics to diverse SOE community, including school leadership, faculty program directors, academic advisors, campus Graduate Admissions office, prospective students, and graduate student assistants. Play a lead role in optimizing enrollment by providing personal attention and resource guidance to prospective students in all matters regarding complex admission and program requirements, in alignment with LMU degree and State of California credentialing requirements.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide student-centered admission counseling and program advising to prospective students. Review transcripts and counsel students on procedure, requirements, expectations, timelines, and available resources. Process and maintain electronic student files.
- Evaluate submitted academic documents for complex State of California competency verifications. Identify previously completed coursework from applicants that meet prerequisite and/or California competency verification requirements. Review and summarize all submitted documents and forms succinctly with accurate and detailed information for use by program directors in making admission decisions. Exercise professional judgment in reviewing, evaluating, and recommending applicants for admission using established guidelines
- Provide academic guidance and admission/career counseling to prospective students, responding to program inquiries in a timely manner with substantive information on wide range of credentialing, licensing, and degree programs.
- Identify candidates that would benefit from a GPA exceptions process and calculate GPA of last 60 semester units (or equivalency) of undergraduate coursework for use in process. Advise students on the additional requirements of the exceptions process through an equity based lens.
- Assist with the development and implementation of program specific marketing and recruitment strategies. Create direct mailing campaign for targeted programs, attend virtual and in-person graduate school fairs to market and recruit programs. Plan and coordinate informational program workshops. Assist in developing email, phone, and social media outreach strategies to reach prospective graduate students.
- Track statistics, develop reports, and regularly provide program directors and school leadership with reports to meet data needs.
- Create detailed program information packets, reviewing and editing at a minimum annually. Regular updates are made throughout the year to include the latest LMU program updates and California Commission on Teacher Credentialing requirements.
- Develop and maintain collaborative partnership with faculty program leads in information exchanges, admission processing preferences, and encouragement of best practices. Interpret requests and policies and develop appropriate procedures for implementation. Recommend updates in an effort to focus on student-centered procedures.
- Supervise graduate student assistants and/or hourly staff in coordinating clerical assistance and recruitment activities. Responsible for recruiting and training student and alumni volunteers who assist recruiting activities. Serve as a guide, trainer, and resource for program department staff on admission, recruitment, non-routine questions, and customer service methodologies.
- Participate on department and campus committees, programs, and projects as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
LOYOLA MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY EXPECTATIONS
Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values of the LMU. Promote an environment that supports diversity and inclusivity. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that model high standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
Typically, a Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in admissions and advisement required. Master's degree in counseling, higher education, K-12 education, or related field highly desirable. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes, in particular to California credentialing requirements and higher education accreditation and admission standards.
Minimum two years of related high-volume customer service experience in admissions, recruitment, counseling, advisement, or guidance in an academic setting Experience in graduate or undergraduate admissions at a not-for-profit university strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Highly developed organizational, communication, and collegial skills.
- Conceptualize, organize, and complete projects both independently and in collaboration with other professional staff members is a key requirement. Welcome and encourage cross collaboration amongst team and professional faculty and staff colleagues.
- Ability to explain detailed program and admission requirements to graduate students in a warm, welcoming, equity-minded manner. Capacity to build relationships with diverse constituencies.
- Ability to perform complex GPA requirements; speak and present to large and small groups; independently compose effective, error-free professional and personable correspondence (e.g. emails, informational documents, flyers, brochures, and reports) to students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic career counseling techniques and approaches. Direct knowledge of California credentialing processes, and knowledge of K-12 and higher education issues is highly desirable.
- Ability to remain calm and professional when faced with a challenging/ sensitive situation and respond with tact and diplomacy. Ensure confidentiality of all admission records.
- Self-motivated with ability to multi-task, plan, organize and execute day-to-day operations; work under deadlines and maintain a detail-oriented approach to each task.
- Demonstrated computer competency and growth mindset in learning and fully utilizing new computer systems. Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required. Familiarity and ease of operation in video applications such as Zoom, MS Teams, or Skype required.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
This salaried staff position is on-site hybrid at the LMU Westchester campus near LAX and Marina del Rey. Starting salary is anticipated at $64,480/annual.
$64,480.00 - $71,600.00 Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Loyola Marymount University, a Carnegie classified R2 institution in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education, seeks outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to inclusive excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law. We invite all persons in the full diversity of their being, life experience, and beliefs to apply. (Visit www.lmu.edu for more information.)